National Society of Colonial Dames of
America in Tennessee
















Blount Mansion Association - Knoxville, Tennessee


Portrait #902
Subject/Title:
Temple, Mary Boyce
Artist:Unknown
Date Created:ca. 1920
Owner/Location:Blount Mansion
200 W. Hill Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37901-1703
Frame Dimensions:34.5" x 28.75"
Image Dimensions:22.8" x 19.5"
Materials/Media:Oil on canvas
Date Documented:8/27/2001
Condition:Good

Description:Mary Boyce Temple is captured with t pleasantly determined expression on her face. She wears a diamond necklace and a crown-shaped pendent on her dress.
History of Work:
Notes:In the fall of 1925 Blount Mansion was slated for demolition to make way for a parking lot. On Novemeber 20, 1925 Ms. Temple gave a check fo $100 to the owner of the property to secure the option on it. As regent of the Bonny Kate Chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution, she then led a drive, along with James Hoskins, President of the East Tennessee Historical Society, to raise the funds to buy Blount Mansion. This was accomplished on November 17, 1926 when Blount Mansion Association was established to preserve the property. The Mansion was restored and opened for tours in 1930, the same year the last loan on the $31,500 purchase price was paid in full. Blount Mansion is designated as Knoxville's only National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service in 1965 and has become the oldest museum in Knox County.

Permission to reproduce by request only.


HOME | ABOUT THE PROJECT | CONTACT US | INDEX | INSTITUTION COLLECTIONS
HOW TO PARTICIPATE | NEW PORTRAITS